Sunday, June 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Yannis




Well, he is here. Long awaited and so happy he came! We were told he was a 'big' baby which made me a bit nervous as Calliope was 8lbs 11 oz when she was born and I didn't want this pregnancy to go far overdue. I had a labour induction performed by a Acupucturist on my Due date and started having contractions in my prenatal yoga class 24 hours later. After a few hours of contractions my labour died down for about 2 hours then at 3 am picked up again. We headed to the hospital for 6 am. I had asked the Midwife not to tell me how dialated I was because I found it disapointing during my labour with Calliope. (I know now that I was 6 cm) We got up to our room, took a bath, used the labour ball, walked around and really thought I was getting somewhere because shortly after being there my Midwife changed into her scrubs and got all the 'tools' out for delivery. at noon she broke my water...

I was practicing hypnobirthing this whole pregnancy which has enabled me to sleep through the nights and remain calmer this whole 9 months. I practiced the techniques during most of the labour and think that I could have made it the whole time without an epidural if I wasn't 'blessed' with Backlabour!!! Both of my children were in a bad position for birth and next time(if there is a next time) I'm going to try a Chiropractor to get them in a good position.

Anyway, 3:30 rolls around and still no baby. I don't think I would have made it that far with out the help of Steve and my friend Andria, They were so supportive and I am sure they were so exhausted from all the work they did physically helping me. My Midwife suggests Pitocin and an epidural, and once the decision was made, I wanted it that second! As it turns out, the whole time being at the hospital I hadn't dialated 1 cm! at 6pm she check me and the baby's head was right there, So I pushed and 6 minutes later he was born! I am so happy to have had such a good experience and recovery seems so much better this time around. We left the hospital at noon the next day.

So far Mr. Yannis is doing well, adjusting to life in the world and eating sleeping and pooping just like any good baby would.

1 comment:

Lori said...

congratulations!! He is absolutely precious!!